Monday, January 30, 2006

We can rebuild him. We have the technology!

Earlier I had mentioned that I was trying to improve myself, professionally and personally.

On the personal side, I want to say that I have made a decent start. I go to the Total Blitz gym about 4 times a week, and I still manage to go to Bally Total Fitness at least once a week. I started this all on December 30, 2005. I weighed in at 173 lbs. and was at 22.1% Body Fat. My goal is to get down to about 14% Body Fat. I'm not too concerned with my weight, as I would love to weigh 165-170 lbs. if it was predominantly muscle. I don't know where I am after a month, but I honestly won't consider myself to be losing weight until I see inches come off my love handles and gut. I'll just have to work harder to achieve the goals I want.

On the professional side, I have signed myself up for accelerated computer training, i.e., a boot camp. Specifically, from February 6-12 I will be in Austin, TX working my ass off to get CCNA & CCDA certified. I am not being sent there by my company (although it is much appreciated that they are giving me payed time off to attend); I am paying out of my own pocket to take this course. I am excited and nervous. I believe this is the best action I can take, as I have found it harder to self-study for the CCNA certification. My hope is that by attending this boot camp I am placing myself in an atmosphere where I will thrive and learn. As opposed to reading a book on the subject, I will be able to engage in labs, simulations and lectures from a CCIE professional. I hope to be a CCIE myself someday, so this CCNA certification is the first step on that path. A friend and coworker of mine has already taken this course and has given me some good advice (doesn't hurt that I also see this in terms of a friendly competition as well, so I'll want to do as well as he did).

I haven't achieved my goal of finding a girlfriend, but then again I haven't really tried since I have this training class next week. Also doesn't help that I love geeky things like this:

Well, I hope to be updating you all next week from Austin. One friend of mine has already started suggested places for me to visit while I am there. I hope you all are well, and I will post again soon.

(Update, 02/02/2006: OK, I do know how well I've done working out this past month. My weight has risen to 174 lbs. but I went down to 21.2% Body Fat. So I am losing fat and building muscle. It's a good start.)

No comments: