Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Swamp Thing

I just wanted to spend a little time this week talking about a new experience I've been enjoying since moving out here to San Jose, CA.

As most of you know, I am a graduate of the University of Florida and I have been an active member of UF's Alumni Association since my graduation. While in Tampa, I was a member of the Tampa Gator Club. Unfortunately, I never did too many activities with the Tampa Gator Club simply because most of my friends in Tampa also attended UF and it was easier to gather with them to watch games than it was to go out to where the club was meeting. About the only thing I did with the Tampa Gator Club was participate in their Gator Rompin' Pub Crawl, which was a lot of fun.

So, I came out to San Jose, CA, back in June and I decided that one of the first things I would do was to meet up with the people in the San Francisco Bay Area Gator Club. I didn't know too many people when I moved out here originally, so I felt that meeting with fellow Gators would give me a nice sense of familiarity. I have to say it's been a truly great experience! The SF Bay Area Gator Club meets in three different "Swamps" to watch Gator football. The "South Bay Swamp" at The Sports Page in Mountain View. The "SF Swamp" at Hooters in San Francisco. And the "East Bay Swamp" at Ricky's Sports Theatre and Grill in San Leandro. I attend the South Bay Swamp as it is the closest one to me and also boasts the largest attendance. Watching games there makes me feel like I'm back in the student section at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. We have a "Swamp Master", named Steve, who literally will not sit down throughout the entire game. He has a sound system set up so that he can play a bunch of our school fight songs and cheers, and we all participate just as if we were at Florida Field. I actually am ashamed to say that I had no idea UF's Fight Song ,"Orange & Blue", actually had lyrics until I started watching games at the South Bay Swamp. But I have met a great group of people there who all gather together to cheer on our Gators. It also doesn't hurt that The Sports Page is a really good bar as well, with a good selection of drinks and food. I'm think I'm going to take some pictures of the place for this weekend's game, Georgia - Florida. I expect to have lots of pictures of us celebrating all game long. And maybe I'll even get a picture of some "Gator Cake".

No comments: