Saturday, May 21, 2005

Rest in Peace, Red Dog ...

A couple of weeks ago, I was alerted to some horrible news. The Red Dog Bar & Grill had closed. A friend of mine from work, who also was the person to introduce me to this wonderful place, told me.

X, rotfiend and I have all gone there many times, and we got to know some of the people who had worked there. It was a fun place, with a rustic look and damn good music coming from the jukebox. Kinda small, but there was a deck out front that could accomadate quite a lot of people. Parking was shitty, but then we always parked next door in the shopping plaza anyway. The food was always great and they had a good selection of beer on tap and in bottles (who can go wrong with some Shinerbock). A lot of times, X and I would meet up there after a long day at work on a Thursday and just relax, roll some bones, and drink until we had to meet some friends later on in the evening. Oh, and did I mention that Thursday nights were Theme Nights. I don't really know how it started, and I don't really care. All I know is that I liked it! The women all seemed to enjoy it, and I'm sure their tips over the course of a Thursday evening got to be pretty nice. The bar also got a pretty good amount of people regularly coming in. It was located near Macdill Airforce base, so a lot of military came. I have personally seen players from the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Red Dog, including Vincent Lecavalier and Dave Andreychuk. When they won Lord Stanley's Cup, they even brought it there. Shit, we enjoyed going there so much that myself and two others were plotting to buy the place. Be much more fun than what we do now, that's for sure. Unfortunately, that's all over now.

I can't say it came as much of a surprise when I heard that the Red Dog was gone. Their website (luckily archived by the Wayback Machine) had been unreachable for quite a few months. From what I understand, near the end you could go there and ask for a certain beer only to be told that they didn't have any. How can a bar not have shit like Bud Light?

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Have to pick a new watering hole, I reckon. As X likes to say, I hate to watch you go, Red Dog, but I love to watch you leave.


No comments: