Saturday, December 10, 2005

I could never be a spokesman for the beer industry ...

So, I was having a good week up until yesterday. This past Monday was my birthday, and from Sunday through Tuesday it was a pretty good week.

Sunday, my parents treated myself and X to brunch at The Oyster Catcher. Their brunch is absolutely exquisite. Plenty of food available, both hot and cold dishes, plus all the oysters one can eat. Now myself, I don't really care for oysters at all but X can only be described as the oyster's natural predator. The man usually has 5 dozen oysters plus about two plates full of the normal fare. I am waiting for the day when I see a Wanted poster up at the front door saying not to let X in for fear of him eating them out of business! Now, after brunch X and I went home and just chilled out watching the various NFL games that were on. Got a call from Badstar, and met up with him and some more friends who all wished me a Happy Birthday. We ended up going out to dinner and it was a pretty enjoyable evening.

Monday I pretty much did nothing. Received calls from my family, all wishing me well on my birthday. Also received calls and cards from my friends. Near the end of the day, my parents took me out to dinner and then I spent the evening with them.

I don't really ask for much on my birthday. As I have gotten older I have realized that all I really want to do on my birthday is spend some quality time with family and friends. My friends usually complain that they can never get me anything for my birthday, since I usually buy whatever I want for myself. The way I look at it, I tend to have eccentric (and sometimes expensive) tastes so if I see something I like I just go ahead and get it. All I want from my friends is to go out and have a good time with them, and maybe a gift card or something.

Now Tuesday was the start of my downfall for this week. I knew X was going to have a long day at work, so I figured it might be good to get as many people as I could out to a local bar here in Tampa, Bilmar Station. Bilmar Station has what they call "liter night", where all domestic and imported draft beer is sold by the liter at discounted prices. X, JerseyStrangler, Jill and myself all went out that evening and it was a fun night. We stayed out until about 23:00, then we all dispersed to get home and get some sleep. Now, I have a rather checkered history when it comes to beer. I can drink hard liquor as much as I want, but sometimes I can get sick off of one beer. It doesn't seem to matter how much I hydrate myself, and none of the normal hangover-prevention tricks seem to work for me either. Now, this problem doesn't happen all the time; it just seems like some days I just can't have beer. So, we went out to this bar for liter night, and I had about 1.5 liters of Spaten Oktoberfest. Thought I drank plenty of water to keep myself hydrated, and when I got home I took a multivitamin before going to bed. Wake up the next day, feeling nauseous and have a migraine. Called in to work, and tried to sleep it off (I had only gotten about 5 hours of sleep so far). Slept for a couple more hours, and now I'm feeling worse. I tried using the healing powers of the HD version of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, but even it's heavenly glow could do nothing to heal my body (but my soul was doing pretty good). Eventually, after about a full day of fitful rest and two prayers said to the porcelain god, I finally got whatever poison I had out of my system. The worst part about that day is I couldn't even work on some personal projects, since I couldn't do much more than read for short periods of time. I simply don't know what it is about beer that does this to me. I could have had only 1 pint, and I still would have gotten ill. But give me the same amount of liquor, and I'd probably only have had a slight headache the next day.

Well, I'm better now. Just wish this didn't make me feel like such a lightweight some times. Guess I'll stick to rum, whiskey and gin from now on.

No comments: