Wednesday, June 20, 2007

California knows how to party

... or at least that is what I am told. But in a few days I am going to find out if that is true or not. On Monday, June 25th, I will be flying out of Tampa and relocating to San Jose, California.

Kinda big news for me, actually. I have spoken to close friends about my desire to work out in Silicon Valley for a long time now, but I always thought I would have to assure myself of a job before moving out to that area of the country. Everyone likes to scare you about how expensive California is, and how difficult it can be to get IT work out there. I had been applying to jobs from home in Tampa, but never really got any solid leads other than the ones that a friend of mine could set up for me. But then I would just screw it up in the interview by being honest. Anyway, although I was doing well in my current job about a year ago I began to feel like my skills and my very being had grown stagnant. And to be honest, I just was not interested in opportunities here in Florida. I had almost gotten a job out in California back about seven years ago, right when I was fresh out of college, but I ended up staying and working for a company in Florida. I think that all this time I have had a little voice in the back of my mind whispering about what could have been. So, I guess you could say wanderlust hit me.

So, I decided I wanted to move out to California, job or no job. But then I needed to make sure I had a place to live. I'll be damned if I make a move like this and still have to worry about finding a job and a residence when I get there. So, I started talking to an old friend of mine who has been living out in San Jose the last eight years. He has tried to convince me to move out there a few times, so I figured I would call him up and see if he knew of anyone who was looking for a roommate around summertime. Our conversation ended with him offering me a place to live in his house at an incredible rate. I took him up on his offer and basically told him to hold the room for me, I am on my way.

That was about 8 months ago. Things went slower than I anticipated, and quite frankly slower than I wanted. But a move like this takes time, and I also decided that I was not going to sell my house and instead I would rent it out. I already had one tenant, X, who has lived here for the last four years. So I figured I would get one more renter. To make a long story short, the older brother of the person I know out in San Jose lives here in Tampa and needed a place to stay. So, I offered to rent out my bedroom to him (I actually have been friends with the entire family for quite some time, so this worked out real well.) and he accepted. I gave two weeks notice to my employer back about three weeks ago and my last day at work was last Thursday. I will miss everyone there, and although I intend to keep in touch I doubt I'll have any days at work that I had with the group of people I just left.

This week is moving week. My car was picked up by auto transport yesterday and the estimated time it will be delivered to me in San Jose is around June 28. The furniture I am taking from my house is being picked up today. That will leave me with some cleaning to do towards the end of this week, a bunch of good-byes, and then a plane ride out to San Jose next Monday.

For those few friends of mine who actually read this little blog, I will try my best to update it a lot more than I ever did in the past. My goal is to let it become your window into my world out there in California. Anyone still reading this, if you notice me slacking send me a swift kick in the ass to write an update.

No comments: