Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Staircase Structural Integrity: 110%

Well, I wouldn't be the person I am if it weren't for the fact that I can laugh at myself. Two days ago, I think, I was up early in the morning checking e-mail and continuing my job hunt. I was downstairs and thought I had heard my phone, which had been left upstairs in my room. I trudged upwards, coffee in hand, to get it and return downstairs.

Now, let me take a moment to say a little something about the house I am living in. I moved out to San Jose mainly because my good friend Kal offered to let me rent a room in his house for very cheap. Originally, this house was a 3/2 one-story home. Kal and the other owner of the house decided a while back to totally rebuild it. I believe they were (are) planning on flipping the house to make a nice profit on it, but the whole process of it all has taken longer than I would guess they envisioned. The house as it stands is now a 6/5 two-story home, and although it is mainly finished there are things here and there that still need completion. Because of this, the stairs have a thin layer of plastic covering the carpeting. Obviously, this is to protect the color from staining as work is finished around the house.

So, let's get back to my situation. Having picked up my phone, I am now on my way downstairs with coffee in hand and sandals on my feet which are not giving me much grip. Then there's plastic on top of the carpet. Right foot slips, and I proceed to bounce on my ass down the top half of the stairs. Cursing the entire way down, of course. I managed to save about half of my coffee; unfortunately, I ended up wearing the other half. I ended up getting a good laugh out of it after the fact, and true to the title of this post the stairs maintained structural integrity throughout the ordeal. Ughh ... such is my glorious life ...

On another entirely different thought, I just want to vent a little on how retarded trash pickup is out here. Why do I have to buy stupid little stickers to place on extra trash bags that don't fit in my trash can?! And why do those stickers cost me $6.25 a piece?! I don't care how much stuff I can recycle and how I don't have to separate it, why can't I place extra bags out for trash pickup? I never had this type of nonsense in Florida, and it's not like I am going to place out something like 9 or 1o bags. This is just stupid. Backwards-ass state.

No comments: