Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Announcement

I have a bit of an announcement to make. I will not go into too much detail, but I've had to come to a decision a little bit earlier than I had expected. Let me go back a little and set things up a bit.

So, some of my most recent posts detailed my reflection on how things were going out here in California after one year's time. I was a little hard on myself, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I had to say. One thing I didn't mention, however, were the plans I had developed for myself.

When I came out to California, I really never believed I was staying for good. If I had, I would have never kept my house in Tampa. My goal was to get a job in "almost mythical" (in my mind) Silicon Valley (hopefully in the video game industry), work at it for two years, and then go back home with some valuable experience added to my resumé. Now, there was/is always the chance I would meet a nice, young lady and decide to spend my time with her. But as of yet, that hasn't happened. So two years of added experience and home-bound I would be.

But some things happened recently that made me do a little rethinking. One, was my realization that the jobs I've found out here in Silicon Valley are really no different that what I can find in Tampa. What I mean is, I had this kind of grand idea that you would work on projects and systems that you simply would not find or see anywhere else. But that's just not the case. The job opportunities aren't that different out here, there are just more of them. But there's also more competition so it all kind of evens out. When I figured this out back a month or two ago, I decided that I would change my plans slightly. I would make an effort to land my dream job, but if nothing turned up by the end of the year I would start making plans to return to Tampa early. Probably within the first three months of 2009. But then the next event happened.

That next event was, well, let's say a ... situation ... developed over here. Essentially all of us here are going to need to find a new place to live soon, probably within the next few months at worst. And upon facing that fact I felt I had to readjust my plans one more time. So, would I move to a new place out in California with my roommates? If so, then I would be out here at least one more year if not more. Or ... or, would I make my return to Tampa now?

As much fun as I've had out in California ... as thankful as I am to my friend who provided me a place to live, and really provided me with the opportunity to come out here in the first place ... as awesome as it has been to meet up with people I haven't seen in a long time; to make new friends; and to become part of a great, Gator community out here ... all of that has been awesome. But through it all, I've still maintained that Tampa is my home. For the last week and a half, I've consulted with various people. Asking them to challenge me and my notions, feelings, and thoughts. And ultimately, I had to look within myself to see if I believed in the decision I was considering.

But my decision has been made. Below you will find a picture of my residence beginning sometime in early October.

No comments: