Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Dark Times Are Over: Football Season Has Begun!

Finally ... The NFL has come back to your television sets!

Sorry, just a little modification from a Rock quote (this Rock, not this one). But I am absolutely happy that football season has arrived. I watched the Hall of Fame game last Sunday, I'll be watching parts of the Saints-Cardinals game on ESPN and the Chiefs-Bears game on the NFL Network tonight, and I'll be following the Buccaneers-Dolphins game on Saturday. I've printed out the season schedules for the Florida Gators (my alma mater), Chicago Bears (my favorite team) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (my hometown team). And I've made predictions on how I feel each team will do this season. I just wanted to take a quick moment to put my predictions out there, so my friends can't claim I'm fudging numbers when I end up being correct.

I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm a homer, a die-hard alumnus who bleeds orange & blue. Looking at the schedule I just don't see any reason why the Gators cannot go 12-0 and reach the SEC Championship. Sure, it most likely won't happen due to the nature of the beast which is the SEC but I am confident in the abilities of that team. So, 12-0 in the regular season, SEC East Champions, SEC Champions and playing for a BCS National Championship. And Tim Tebow will be awarded the Heisman Memorial Trophy for the second time.

The Chicago Bears have made it tough on me these last few years. They seem to like to tease us fans with a great season at one time interrupted by a few lean, losing years. I've resigned myself to believing they are in the middle of a major rebuild of the offense. Looking at their schedule optimistically, I could see the Bears going 8-8. It will probably end up being worse than that, but 8-8 would be fine with me.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers went 9-7 last season, but they essentially gave up the last two games by resting a majority of their starters for both games. I was intrigued by the entire Brett Favre saga, and would not have minded seeing #4 as a Buccaneer. However, I supported their acquisition of Jeff Garcia last year and I believe he performed well for them over last season. So, I'm happy that they still have a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback starting for them. Looking at the Buccaneer's schedule, I see them going 11-5. I am simply not sold on the supposed improvements made by the New Orleans Saints and Carolina Panthers, so I think the division is up for grabs and that the Buccaneers are in a fine position to repeat as the NFC South Champions.

No comments: